When I post recipes like this, my thoughts go immediately to my sisters. Up until the past couple of years I was the world’s biggest non vegetable eater. I imagine the expression on their faces when this title appears in their inbox from me!
I wanted this recipe to achieve a number of things:
- As much as I love my smoothies for breakfast, the mornings have been cold and I have wanted a hot breakfast that is quick and easy.
- I want to cook one dish in advance that will last me a few breakfasts.
- It needed to be high in protein.
- Should contain no sweet potato (I love sweet potato but really need to work on variety in my diet).
With chicken and egg, it is certainly high in protein, it makes a large lasagne dish size meal and I used parsnips! It ticks all the boxes and even tastes great to boot!
- 600 grams chicken breasts (or 600 grams of chicken mince)
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 15 eggs
- 700 grams parsnips
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cms ginger
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 120 grams baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Finely grate ginger, prepare garlic for crushing and finely chop onion. Shred parsnips in the food processor and set aside. Roughly chop baby spinach
- Mince chicken in the food processor. Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add coconut oil. Add onion and fry for a couple of minutes until softened. Add garlic and ginger to the chicken to the pan and cook, breaking up as you do so. Once the chicken is cooked remove from heat or turn heat off if using an electric frying pan.
- In a large mixing bowl add the eggs and whisk well.
- Add to the eggs shredded parsnip, chopped baby spinach, chicken and combine well.
- Line a lasagne dish with baking paper and pour the eggs mix into the dish. Add the chicken evenly to the dish.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes before removing and cutting into pieces.
Our weekly menu plan
Lots more winter type recipes on the plan this week.
Week Commencing 29th June
|Mon||Slow cooker roast lamb|
|Tue||Slow cooker beef stroganoff|
|Wed||Slow cooker butter chicken
Sautéed baby spinach
|Thu||Weekly menu plan shopping list 150629|
PWK Menu Planning App
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog. The app is only $AUD1.29.
Please note this app is available in iTunes only and you cannot add your own recipes.
Are you a big veggie eater?