This was the first time I had made Butter Chicken in the slow cooker. We had Mr I’s nana over for dinner and I thought I would do something different to what she would usually have for dinner. Nana is 99, still lives on her own and is one of the loveliest and most inspiring people I know. I so hope my kids have a fair dose of her genes!
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- 600g chicken breasts
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Indian curry paste (I would add less next time to reduce the spicyness slightly for the kids. If it were for me I would double it!)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger (or ½ tsp ground)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 15 cardamom seeds
- 140g tomato paste
- 1 (400ml) tin coconut milk
- 1 cup plain yoghurt (plus optional extra to serve)
- pinch salt to taste
- Melt the butter in a large frypan over medium heat.
- Add chicken and brown.
- Add onion and garlic, cooking until the onion has softened and turned translucent.
- Add curry paste, garam masala, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and tomato paste. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add coconut milk and yoghurt to the slow cooker and season to taste with salt.
- Cook on High 4 to 6 hours, or on Low 6 to 8 hours.
- Before serving remove and discard the cardamom pods.
- Serve with rice, pappadoms and yoghurt.
Our Family Menu Plan for this week.
Last week’s menu plan was all over the place for a variety of reasons! So this week sees some repeats from last week as well as a new recipe to try.
Baking: Rolled Oat Slice
Monday: Home Made Hamburgers And Salad
Tuesday: Pasta With Chicken and Spinach
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Sausages and Salad
Friday: Baked Penne with Bacon
Saturday: Chicken Lasagne
Sunday: Slow Cooker Roast Lamb
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.asian, slow cooker