The last couple of weeks I have been writing about breakfasts. Breakfasts for the kids and breakfasts for me and you can find these posts here.
When it came to changing my diet to a more whole food approach to food, I found breakfast was the easiest meal to do. In some ways breakfast is my most favourite meal of the day.
What I love about this protein smoothie is it is made up of real food. No protein powder. As I shared in this recipe, I do occasionally use protein powder now, but my preference is not to.
You might look at the ingredient list and turn up your nose at the thought of raw eggs, but think again. Do you turn up your nose when you eat raw cake batter? No of course you don’t! And this smoothie is the same. You don’t taste raw egg (although to be honest I am not sure what raw egg would taste like) you just have a great chocolate taste.
It is super easy to make and you do not need a blender to make it in. I don’t own a blender and just make it in my food processor.
This is a big smoothie which I would have post workout in the morning. You could reduce the quantities to 2 eggs, 1 banana and ¼ avocado if you prefer a smaller smoothie.
It is also super thick which is the way I like my smoothies. To have a thinner smoothie add some almond milk or water.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 ½ large frozen bananas
- ½ avocado
- 2 tsp maca powder
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- Add the eggs, baby spinach and blend. I don’t have a blender so just use my food processor. By doing these two ingredients on their own first the spinach is processed into smaller pieces.
- Add remaining ingredients into the food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Top with cacao nibs and coconut flakes and serve immediately.
Our family menu plan for the week
Week Commencing 3rd Nov
|Mon||Slow cooker butter chicken|
|Tue||Sweet chilli chicken wraps|
|Thu||Moroccan minted beef|
|Sun||Spicy Slow Cooker Lamb
Slow Cooker Lemon and Coconut Cake
|Shopping List||Weekly menu plan shopping list 141103|
More family friendly recipes
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.