Breakfast is an important meal for me. I am an early morning exerciser so, not only is it my first meal of the day, it is also my refuelling meal too.
I love smoothies for breakfast as they are quick and easy to make and taste great. When I first started having smoothies, so they had enough protein in them I became reliant on a couple of scoops of protein powder in my smoothie. Now I only have protein powder based smoothie on the odd occasion and this protein kale smoothie is my hands down favourite.
I have tried a few different protein powders and the one I like the best is Bare Blends Vanilla Bean Native Whey Protein Isolate. You need to carefully read the ingredient lists on protein powders as you can find all sorts of things listed, that you probably don’t want to be consuming and the ingredients list are often quite long. The Bare Blends protein powder only has four ingredients.
I know kale is hugely popular in smoothies, especially the big green type of ones. This smoothie differs from those, in that there is kale in it, but it doesn’t dominate the flavour or colour.
It can be tricky to keep fresh kale on hand for smoothies too. I will buy a couple of bunches of kale at a time, wash it in vinegar and water, de-stem and chop it up, flash freeze it and then store it in air tight containers in the freezer.
This means that I can just grab a couple of handfuls as I need it for my smoothies.
Over the next few weeks I will be sharing more breakfast recipes for adults and kids.
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- 1 large frozen banana
- ¼ - ½ cup water
- ½ cup almonds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor (or a blender if you have one, I don't)
- The more water you add the thinner the texture of the smoothie will be. I recommend starting with ¼ cup and adding more if you need it.
- At first it looks like the ingredients will never blend into smoothie texture, but keep it processing for a couple of minutes and it will start to happen as the kale and banana defrost.
- Stop the processing, scrape down the sides, process for another minute, then serve in a bowl and eat with a spoon.
More family friendly meals
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
Do you love smoothies for breakfast too?