This recipe is based of one from a Meals In Minutes Cookbook by Australian Women’s Weekly. So needless to say it is a pretty quick one to cook. If you are used to traditional Moroccan food, this recipe would need a bit of revving up. It has a subtle flavour which I find my children prefer and eat readily.
- 2 tbsps Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 2 tsps Ground Cumin
- 1 Lemon
- 425 grams Tomatoes Tinned
- 750 grams Beef Strips
- 3/4 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 cup Mint
- 1 1/2 cups Rice
I like to serve this meal on a bed of rice. The dish itself is quite e quick to cook, so I begin cooking the rice first.
- Slice onion thinly.
- Grate the rind of the lemon.
- Toast almonds lightly. (I do this by placing them under the grill for a few minutes.)
- Finely shred mint leaves – you need about 3 – 4 teaspoons.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Next add the lemon rind and cumin, stirring for a minute or so.
- Add tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about five minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- While this is simmering, cook the beef in a large heated pan until it is browned.
- Pour the tomato mixture into this pan.
- Serve the beef on a bed of rice and top with mint and almonds.
The Family Menu Plan For This Week
Baking: White Chocolate Chip Muffins
Monday: Chicken Korma
Tuesday: Baked Penne Pasta
Wednesday: Left Overs.
Thursday: Sausages and Salad
Friday: Tuna Rice
Sunday: Chicken Lasagne
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.
And for even more menu planning ideas, you can also head on over to “I’m an Organizing Junkie” for Laura’s regular Menu Plan Monday posts.beef