My daughter has had a number of before and after school activities this term. While she still has breakfast before she goes, we found she needed to pack a little something extra in the lunch box so she could have something to eat either before heading into class or before heading to her after school activity (she goes straight after school).
She loves the oat based cereal I make for her, so I thought I would make a different version of this for her to take to school. As it is to be eaten at school it must not contain nuts and she is not a huge fan of dried fruit, so this is a super simple granola which she loves.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cacao nibs
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup honey
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- Add rolled oats to large bowl.
- Chop seeds if desired and add to bowl. Add coconut flakes and cacao nibs.
- Melt coconut oil in a small bowl. Add the honey. If honey is stiff, either sit bowl in boiling water for a few minutes or heat for a short burst on high on microwave.Add maple syrup and mix well.
- Pour the liquid into the bowl with oats and mix well.
- Line two large trays with baking paper and pour half of the oat mixture onto the trays.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Give a stir around and bake for a further 5 - 10 minutes. To be ready the granola does not have to be dry to touch. It will dry further on cooling.
- Allow granola to cool before transferring to an air tight container.
Our weekly menu plan
Lots more winter type recipes on the plan this week.
Week Commencing 25th May
|Mon||Spaghetti and Zucchini Bolognese|
|Wed||Slow Cooker Satay
Rice cooker coconut rice
|Thu||Weekly menu plan shopping list 25th May 2015|
PWK Menu Planning App
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. You might like to also check out the Planning With Kids Menu Planning App.
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
What are your favourite winter meals?