I usually make a super quick and super plain version of Spaghetti Bolognese. I have been looking for awhile for a slow cooker recipe for spaghetti bolognese, because I have heard the sauce tastes so much better when allowed to cook for hours.
After trying this recipe (based on one from Sally Wise) I can agree with that premise. The meat has a much smoother and richer texture and the kids loved it (well 4 out of 5 did and I think the 1 was just being cranky!).
Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 grams premium beef mince
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 400 grams tin diced tomatoes
- 140 grams tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of water
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes, until soft.
- Add mince and be sure to break up the mince thoroughly as it cooks.
- Pour this mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine.
- Put lid on and cook for 6-7 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- When ready cook up some pasta and serve with parmesan cheese and cracked pepper.
Our Family Menu Plan for this week.
Baking: Butter Cake
Monday: Butter Chicken
Tuesday: Baked Penne
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Friday: Tuna Rice
Sunday: Slow Cooker Roast Lamb
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.pasta, slow cooker