As noted last week, I am undertaking a challenge at the gym I attend which is encompasses exercise and nutrition. For the nutrition component we are using the Zone model.
At two weeks into the challenge, I have never eaten so many veggies in all my life! I have never been a great veggie eater, particularly of the green variety, so I have found this quite challenging.
Thankfully a friend Alison sent me an email recently with a recipe which was a winner for her and for the neighbours’ kids. It was based on a recipe from Madhur Jaffrey’s world vegetarian book. Alison is not only a good cook, but an expert in children’s literacy and runs an amazing blog which I have linked to many times – Spelfabet. Be sure to check it out if you haven’t done so already.
So from the rough details Alison gave me, I can up with a green veggie recipe, which saw me happily eating broccoli. My kids unfortunately didn’t go for it, but it is a winner taste wise and is filling – I have cooked it a number of times again already.
- 280 grams broccoli (2 blocks carbs)
- 60 grams baby spinach (0.5 block carbs)
- 50 grams onions which is about half an onion (0.5 block carbs)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1.38 tsp macadamia oil (3 blocks fat)
- Optional - 85 grams chicken cooked (3 blocks protein) - I served mine up with chicken but you could serve it with anything you like or eat it on its own!
- Steam broccoli for about 3 - 5 minutes.
- While broccoli is cooking, finely chop onion and prepare garlic for mincing.
- Run broccoli under cold water to refresh and chop roughly.
- Add oil to a medium sized frying pan and fry onion on low heat. If you are using a small amount of oil, cooking on a low heat helps prevent sticking and over cooking.
- Mince the garlic into the pan and fry for another minute or so.
- Add broccoli and spinach to the pan and stir.
- Serve as a side dish with your meat or on its own.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week
I am going away for over a week, so this is the menu plan for the family while I am away. I have already cooked a number of these dishes, so for many of them it will be heat and serve!
Week Commencing 29th June
|Sat||Pasta with chicken and baby spinach|
|Sun||Slow cooker roast beef
|Tue||Sausage and veg|
|Thu||Slow cooker spaghetti bolognese|
|Shopping List||Weekly menu plan shopping list for 29th June 2013|
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a weekly basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
Do you have a favourite way of jazzing up veggies?