Shepherds Pie Recipe
We had Shepherd’s Pie last week. Is is such a winter favourite in our house. It is an easy recipe to cook and also goes well with some crusty bread.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 clove garlic
- 750 grams beef mince (or lamb)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1.5 cups beef stock
- 6 large potatoes
- 525 grams pumpkin butternut
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Technically this is actually cottage pie, as I use beef mince instead of lamb (just personal preference). Either meat will work for this recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Chop onion. Crush garlic. Grate carrots.
3. Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
4. Add mince. Ensure mince is broken up during cooking process. Cook until browned.
5. Add carrots, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and parsley, mixing well.
6. Combine corn flour with beef stock – make sure that it is not lumpy.
7. Add stock mixture to the pan and stir over a medium heat until it begins to boil.
8. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The vegetables can be boiled then mashed, but I prefer to steam them.
1. Chop potatoes and pumpkin into cubes.
2. Boil water in steamer and place potatoes on first. Add potatoes after 5 -7 minutes.
3. Once tender, place potato and pumpkin into a large bowl. Add chopped up butter and lightly beaten egg. Mash until a smooth consistency.
1. Spoon the meat mixture on to the bottom of a lasagne style dish.
2. Spread the topping evenly across the meat.
3. Bake in the oven for approx 45 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
Any tips you want to share to add to this shepherds pie recipe?
Family Menu Plan For The Week
Monday: Creamy Chicken and Tomato Stew
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Chicken Korma
Friday: Spaghetti Bolognaise
Sunday: Pan Fried Fish With Salad
If you like the look of this family menu plan, then you might like to use The Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. With the menu planner you can select your meals for the week and print our your own shopping list.
For more menu planning ideas head on over to Laura’s place at “I’m an Organizing Junkie“.beef, winter