What I loved most about this dish, was that it was so easy to prepare and all the kids ate it happily. It is also one that you can vary easily as well. We used lamb, but I have a hunch that chicken would be even tastier. You could change the vegetables you added, depending on what you might have on hand.
I based this recipe from one in the very handy recipe book Slow Cooker: Easy and Delicious Recipes for All Seasons by Sally Wise. You don’t have to use a slow cooker for this recipe though. You could just follow the steps and simply place the ingredients into a casserole dish and cook in a moderate oven for a couple of hours.
Easy Satay Recipe (Slow Cooker)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 grams lamb strips
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 270 mls coconut milk
- Steamed rice to serve
- In a medium bowl, coat lamb with flour.
- Add oil to pan and brown meat.
- Place meat into slow cooker with cut vegetables.
- Peel and crush garlic onto ingredients in the slow cooker
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high.
- Serve with steamed rice.
The Family Menu Plan For This Week
I am off to Sydney Monday evening with the three youngest children, so the menu plan for this week is based on very easy meals that Mr I will be able to cook when he gets home from work. The kids are counting on dad getting them pizza at least one night, so am not sure how true to the plan they will stick!
Baking: 100s of biscuits
Monday: Slow Cooker Roast Lamb
Tuesday: Pasta With Chicken and Spinach
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Sausages and Salad
Friday: Baked Penne with Bacon
Saturday: Chicken Lasagne
Sunday: Home Made Hamburgers And Salad
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.