Tacos are always a hit at our place and the kids would be happy to have them every single week. In an attempt to mix it up a little, I created this slow cooker chicken taco recipe. It wins in three key ways:
- the kids are happy to eat tacos
- I can make it ahead in the slow cooker
- it makes lots of left over meat for my lunches
This recipe does make a substantial amount of meat, so if you are looking to feed a family of six just the once from this meal, then I would halve the ingredients.
It is simple to make, slicing the chicken breasts and mixing the remaining ingredients together to pour over the chicken.
You can tell the meat is ready as it falls apart easily with the slightest pull with the forks.
This would make a great dish when you have other families over for dinner, as you can place the dish of meat in the middle of the table and let guests help themselves.
I either eat the tacos or with rice and veggies. The kids mix it up with either hard shells or soft wraps.
I will then use the left over meat for my lunches. When I made it this time, I also cooked the rice cooker Mexican Rice, which meant that I just needed to steam some broccoli and I had my lunches for the week with very little extra work.
- 1 cup passata
- 4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large red chilli (de-seed if you prefer less spicy)
- 2 kg chicken breasts
- In a small bowl mix passata, the dry herbs and spices, crush the garlic and finely mince the chilli. Mix with a fork so well combined.
- If the chicken breasts are thick, slice them in half horizontally and then place them in the slow cooker.
- Pour the passata over the chicken and set the slow cooker to cook for 3 - 4 hours on high or 7 - 8 hours on low.
- To test if the chicken is ready, simply use a fork to break away a piece of meat. If it is ready the meat will just start to fall apart easily.
- Once ready remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place onto a large dish. Using two forks pull apart the meat.
- You can use this meat as taco filling, in salads or serve with Mexican rice and vegetables.
Our family menu plan for the week
Week Commencing 29th Aug 2016
|Tue||Slow cooker butter chicken
|Wed||Dukkah crusted salmon with crunchy potatoes and garlic spinach|
|Thu||Slow cooker beef stroganoff (gluten free)
|Fri||Weekly menu plan shopping list 160829|
More family friendly recipes
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes.