This was a meal for just the husband and I. I really need to incorporate more fish into our diet. I didn’t grow up eating a lot of fish and don’t naturally think about cooking it. I had heard that salmon was a great easy dish to prepare and I absolutely concur.
I love dukkah so decided to combine this with the salmon for extra flavour and it tasted delicious.
You could serve the salmon with your favourite veggies or salad. I opted for some simple crunchy potatoes and flavoursome sautéed garlic baby spinach.
- 500 grams salmon fillets
- ½ cup dukkah
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 potatoes
- 240 grams baby spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking the potatoes this way will take about 1.5 hours, so you need to make a start on these well before cooking anything else.
- Cut potatoes into even size pieces and place them into a steamer. Cook for about 15 minutes. They need to have cooked, but not be too soft.
- Once the potatoes have been cooked enough, place them onto trays lined with baking paper. Allow them to cool for about 10 - 15 minutes. I find letting them "dry off" a bit first before coating with coconut oil and cooking them, means they turn out a little more crunchy. ￼
- Brush potato with 2 tbsp of the coconut oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. ￼
- Pop them in the oven and they will take about an hour to cook. Turn after 30 minutes, so they are evenly cooked.
- Ensure the salmon fillets have no skin on them. Place them in a large flat dish and sprinkle them with ¼ cup dukkah. Press down firmly with your hands. Turn salmon over and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup dukkah.
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil to a large frying pan and melt on a medium heat. Cook the salmon for 2 -3 minutes each side. To check if cooked through you can gently break open a thicker piece of salmon.
- Remove from pan and place on plate, cover with foil if other veggies aren’t ready or serve straight away with potatoes and spinach.
- This cooks quite quickly so you can cook this once you have the salmon on and cooking.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the coconut oil in a large frying pan on medium high.
- Crush garlic and fry for 1 - 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add baby spinach and cook for 3 - 4 minutes stirring constantly. Add salt while cooking.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
More family friendly recipes
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
What has been popular in the kids’ lunch boxes at your house?