I know Macaroni and Cheese is a favourite in many homes, but I cooked it for my family for the first time only a couple of months ago. The kids had heard the phrase Mac and Cheese and were wanting to know what it tasted like, so I agreed to make if for them to try.
I tweaked this recipe from Taste.com.au., the kids loved it and it was pretty easy to put together so I liked that! This would be the perfect sort of meal to whip up for the kids when Mr I and are heading out for a meal ourselves.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 50gms parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500gms macaroni pasta
- 300gms shortcut rindless bacon
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 200mls thickened cream
- 80gms butter, chopped
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 3 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and boil water for macaroni.
2. Grate parmesan cheese.
3. Grate tasty cheese.
6. Cook macaroni as per the directions on the pack. Don’t over cook the pasta though, make sure it is still a little firm.
7. Once cooked, drain from pan and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
10. Add the milk and cream and stir well.
11. Cook on high for 5 minutes in the microwave – check and stir the sauce. Cook for a further 3 minutes until sauce has thickened and is smooth. (Note times may differ slightly depending on your microwave.)
14. Pour pasta into a lasagne dish and spread out evenly.
16. Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes. The top should be nice and golden when ready.
Even though I added considerably to the ingredients to make this meal larger for our family, we had no left overs from this meal – this is great because the kids ate it happily, sad for me because I love meals that make left overs!
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week.
Meat and Veg/Salad
|Chicken Wraps - Sweet Chilli||Slow Cooker Roast Lamb||Shepherds Pie||Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup||Left |
|Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese||Savoury Tarts|
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a weekly basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.pasta