Although still my baby, our youngest has moved over into toddler territory. He has quite a pace when walking and is tumbling over less and less. I still am making up some bulk baby food mainly because I like him to have a hot lunch each day and also for the nights when what we eat is not that suitable for him, but he is showing a definite preference for finger foods so he can feed himself.
To provide him with the opportunity to easily feed himself, I have been making a few extra things to pop in the freezer. (I like to have some finger foods in the freezer so that I can then use when we go out and about.) At the moment I have Zucchini Slice in wedges and a modified version of my muffins stored in re-sealable bags. (I modify the recipe by decreasing the oil, sugar and milk, omitting the white choc chips and add berry yoghurt instead.)
Finger Food Recipes For Toddlers
Here are a list of recipes that can easily be made into finger food for toddlers:
- Hamburgers – I make them quite small, so they are only a coupe of mouthfuls and they freeze very well.
- Meatballs – I also make these small and freeze them separate to the sauce sometimes as well.
- Home Made Pizzas – I like to put grated veggies on his pizza slices and have found roast pumpkin to be very popular.
- Chicken Schnitzel – You either just cut up a large schnitzel once its cooked, but I prefer just to make some little ones for the toddler when I am cooking them.
- Homemade Pasties – I simply make very small pasties for toddlers, so they can pick them up and eat them with out too much mess.
- Sausages and Steamed Vegetables – I am still cutting the skin off the sausages for my toddler though.
The Family Menu Plan For This Week
Baking: Chocolate Balls
Monday: Spaghetti Bolognaise
Tuesday: Creamy Chicken and Tomato Stew
Wednesday: Left Overs.
Thursday: Beef Stir Fry
Friday: Pan Fried Fish With Salad
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.