When we were in China recently I picked up a box of these for bars to snack on while sightseeing and travelling. They were delicious and I loved the ginger flavour. Not long after returning home, I decided to have a go at making them myself.
I was pretty happy with the result! While they do have a sweetness to the bar because of the dates, the ginger and lemon give them a balanced flavour and they are not too sweet.
I used fresh ginger as I find the flavour so much nicer than dried ginger in a raw bar like this.
While I shaped the mixture into bars, you could easily turn them into balls if you preferred.
Ginger, coconut and cashew bars
Recipe type: Raw sweet treats
Serves: 12 bars
- 2 cups dates (pitted)
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- ¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- Place cashews and dates into the food processor and blend. Blend for a few minutes, scrape the mixture from down the sides of the food processor and blend again. Do this a couple of times until the mixture is soft and sticks together. Do not over process though, as you will end up mixture that is too runny.
- Add the lemon juice, ginger, salt and shredded coconut to the food processor and pulse until combined.
- Press the into a lined small-medium baking tray and place in the fridge for a couple of hours. Once the mixture has set cut with a sharp knife into your desired size.
Our family menu plan for the week
Nothing very fancy on the menu plan this week, just some favourites of the kids.