My kids are big fans of the meatball and I am pretty partial to them myself, but since dropping gluten amongst other things from my diet, I haven’t been eating them when I make them for the family.
These chicken and bacon balls taste rather fantastic dipped into my homemade sweet chilli sauce!
- 1kg chicken mince
- 12 rash short cut rindless bacon
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2.5 tsp bacon fat (or preferred cooking oil)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Finely chop bacon and onion.
- Prepare garlic for crushing.
- In a medium frying pan add your bacon fat and heat on a medium heat.
- Add bacon first and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add onion and fry for a further few minutes.
- Add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Pour the bacon and onion mix into a large bowl.
- Add chicken mince and mix with your hands. I don't like touching meat very much so use food handling gloves for this.
- Roll into balls. I made our balls using about a heaped tablespoon of mixture.
- Place on lined baking trays.
- Once all rolled into balls, place in the oven for about 30 - 40 minutes (see notes).
- No need to turn them, just let them cook and wait for them to be ready to eat!
You can see my other meatball recipes (contain gluten) here:
Do you have a tasty gluten free meatballs recipe to share?