Changing what I ate for lunch was the biggest challenge for me in trying to improve my diet. Having salads like those and also the quick tuna snack have made it easy for me to stick to a whole food approach to my food.
There are days though, when I don’t have anything prepared and want to make myself something that is easy, will be tasty and satiate me. On days like this it quite often turns out to be what I call “Breakfast for lunch”.
It varies depending on what I have on hand, but my favourite combo includes:
- Sweet potato hash (I grate up a number of portions of sweet potato at the start of the week)
- Smashed avocado with homemade dukkah
Other times it might have some of these foods:
- Sautéed baby spinach
- Fried tomatoes
- Fried onions
- Sautéed cabbage
- Homemade salsa
- Stir fried grated zucchini
- Garlic aioli
These items (with the exception of the homemade condiments) are bought on an almost weekly basis. Having a well stocked fridge is key for me to be able to throw together a healthy lunch with out too much fuss.
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- ½ large sweet potato (approx 400 grams)
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tbs homemade dukkah
- Shred the sweet potato using a grater or food processor.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan on high. Once oil is melted and hot add sweet potato to the pan.
- Spread the sweet potato out across the pan and sprinkle with salt.
- Allow the sweet potato to cook for a couple of minutes, then flip it over. Space the sweet potato out again and allow it to cook for another couple of minutes.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, cut the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl. Mash with a fork, then scoop out onto the plate and sprinkle dukkah on top.
- Toss the sweet potato again so all of the sweet potato has been in contact with the pan.
- In a heated second pan, fry or poach your eggs.
- Check to see if the sweet potato is at your desired level of crunchiness. Remove from heat and add to your plate with avocado.
- Cook eggs to desired level, then add to the plate.
- Sit down with a cup of tea and enjoy.
What’s your favourite breakfast for lunch combination?