It would be well known that I believe in the power of setting goals. I have set goals for many years and tracked my progress by them here on the blog.
Each year I work at trying to set SMART goals and improve the way I select them. This year I have made some small changes to the way I am setting goals.
I am staying with the structure of one key focus for each of the areas of my life. But this year I have one overarching statement written in terms of what I want to have achieved at the end of the year and more specific, measurable goals lying beneath them.
The overarching goals for each area of my life will be my best decision making tool. I cannot predict what opportunities will come my way or the way of my family, so cannot possibly factor them all in. But I can ask myself the question “Will this help achieve my goals for 2013?” before I take on anything new.
For example, before I agree to take on any new speaking gigs (I already have a number booked for 2013), I will need to determine if it will negatively impact on my level of calmness. Or if the family is invited out one weekend but we have very little time to ourselves, my decision should be to politely decline the invitation to ensure we are spending enough time together.
This will be challenging for me, as I do suffer at time from FOMO – Fear Of Missing Out! But I am going to tackle a few smaller things underneath to help me get better at it, which I will share soon on the blog.
Me – I am less rushed and healthier.
- Continue to improve my diet – one meat free meal a week, reduce consumption of sugar and carbs.
- Read six books by the end of the year.
- Add variety to my exercise regime.
- Sleep at least 6 hours a night on a regular basis.
Family – We spend more time doing things together.
- Monthly family meetings.
- Eat out together on a quarterly basis.
- Have an active family holiday.
- Two big bush walks throughout the year.
Relationship – We have more time together on our own and support each others interests.
- A weekend away in 2013.
- Attend an event in the Comedy Festival, see 1 play, see 1 live music gig and a attend one event at the Melbourne Festival.
- Mr I will play football, cricket and cycle.
- I will continue exercising 5 – 6 times a week.
Work – Improved usability and resources on the blog and improved blogging skills.
- Analyse PWK survey and implement changes to the blog by quarter one.
- Develop the calendar to the next stage by quarter two.
- Take course at Sydney Writers Centre by quarter three.
- Release new product by quarter four.
How are you going about your goal setting for 2013? Are you trying anything different compared to last year?personal goals