Last week I posted my slow cooker shredded beef and rocket salad which is a favourite lunch meal for me. Another favourite lunch is shredded chicken salad.
This recipe doesn’t require a slow cooker, but you could easily cook the chicken in the slow cooker if you wish. Also I cheat and buy pre-packed dry slaw when you could buy cabbage and carrot individually and make the dry slaw yourself.
The aim for me though is to have a lunch that is easy to make, tasty to eat and can make more than one meal, so buying the pre-packed salad helps me with this.
I do make my own pesto and I used a roasted capsicum and cashew pesto for my salad, but you could use any pesto you liked.
The hardest part of making this salad is shredding the chicken after it is cooked, which isn’t even very hard!
The salad has a great flavour and is vibrant in colour.
Grain free, dairy free (but does contain nuts in the pesto) so it is a handy recipe to have up your sleeve for friends who have food intolerances.
- 250 grams chicken breast
- 500 grams dry slaw
- ⅓ cup pesto
- Slice chicken breasts horizontally so you have thin pieces of chicken to cook.
- Heat the pan on medium high and add the chicken. I use a non stick frying pan to cook the chicken and don't use any oil to fry it, but you could use oil if you wish.
- Cook for 4 -5 minutes each side. This will give the chicken a crispy brown outer side. Cook for a shorter time if you like it less crispy.
- Place chicken into a large bowl and use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add the dry slaw to the bowl and the pesto and toss well.
- Serve on a plate and enjoy.
Do you have a favourite short cut to help you serve up a healthy and quick lunch?
Family Friendly Recipes
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes.