I have updated this post from 2009 to include a photo of the Chicken Lasagne. I always like to have a look at a picture of the end result before I cook!
I find lasagne a great dish to cook for the family on nights when we have after school activities. I can cook it earlier in the day and simply reheat it quickly when we arrive home.
My children do not love traditional lasagne though. I do cook it but have found that they prefer chicken lasagne and therefore eat more of it. This suits me too as it actually has some vegetables in it!
This chicken lasagne recipe is easy to cook. (Mr I can even cook it.) It does however take some time to prepare as you need to cut up all the vegetables and chicken.
Chicken Lasagne Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 grams chicken breast, cubed into small pieces
- 2 red capsicums, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 375 grams herb and garlic tomato paste
- 500 grams large instant lasagne sheets
- 75 grams butter
- 5 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- Approx 750 mls milk
- Olive oil spray
- 200 grams tasty cheese, grated
- 200 grams mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Pre heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Brown chicken in pan, stirring constantly.
- Add onion, when clear, add capsicums and stir for two minutes.
- Add tomato paste and mix well.
- Spray lasagne dish with olive oil spray.
- Start making the white sauce (see below for instructions on white sauce).
- Lay lasange sheets on bottom of dish. Break bits up so entire bottom is covered.
- In the pan divide the chicken mixture into half.
- Spread one half of the chicken mixture over the lasagna sheets.
- Sprinkle half the tasty and mozzarella cheese on top of this.
- Add next layer of lasagna sheets.
- Spread remaining chicken mixture onto lasagna sheets.
- Sprinkle remaining half the tasty and mozzarella cheese on top of this.
- Place final layer of lasange sheets.
- Pour white sauce evenly over lasagne sheets.
- Cover with aluminum foil (arch foil over the top).
- Bake for 40- 50 minutes.
- Take off foil, turn off oven and turn on grill.
- Grill for 5 minutes or until golden on top. MONITOR CLOSELY.
- Take out of the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
White Sauce Instructions:
- Chop butter roughly and place in a microwave jug and add flour.
- Cook for approx 45 seconds on high in microwave.
- Stir vigorously to make a smooth paste.
- Add milk, stir again and cook in microwave for 5 minutes.
- Stir again, getting lumps out, particularly from the bottom.
- Keep going like this until the mixture is smooth and thick.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week.
Baking: Anzac Biscuits
Tuesday: Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
Wednesday: Left Overs
Thursday: Beef Stir Fry with Asian Greens
Friday: Pan Fried Fish With Salad
Sunday: Slow Cooker Roast Lamb
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. All of these recipes are in the database of the Planning With Kids Free Menu Planner. You can use the menu planner to plan a week of meals for your family and then print out the associated shopping list.chicken, pasta