This post is also part of my 10 week Christmas planning series. You can find the rest of the series here.
My daughter wanted to make a little something for her classmates at school. She had her heart set on a non food item to make. I needed something that she could make independently as the timing for her to make it would see me needed with the other kids.
I have made bath salts before so suggested we make a tweaked version of them. Thankfully she thought this was a great idea. To give them a Christmassy touch, we made them peppermint so they would smell like candy canes. We also used a combination of red and green colouring.
For her class mates, she packaged them in a cellophane bag and made them single colour. For her teaches she packaged them in a jar and layered the bath salts so there was a layer of green, then a layer of white which looked great.
Once I explained the making process to my daughter, she set to it and did everything herself. It took her a couple of hours but she loved doing it.
Once the bath salts were made the first step was to make write on tags for each of her friends. She then tied some twine around the little spoon and tag.
Then it was filling the cellophane bags with the bath salts. Once the bags were all ready to go, she tied each bag tightly with the twine. (Tipping them upside down to make sure the salts wouldn’t escape.)
She was very proud taking a bag of handmade bath salts off to school for all her friends.
- 6 cups Epsom salts
- 6 cups rock salt (smaller size)
- Food colouring
- Peppermint oil
- If you are going to make two colours like we did, set out two large mixing bowls.
- Add 3 cups of Epsom salts to each bowl, then 3 cups of rock salt and mix.
- To each bowl add 4 -5 drops of food colouring and stir well with a large spoon.
- Add 6-8 drops of Peppermint oil to each bowl and mix again.
- Package the bath salts as you like! We used small cellophane bags and added ¼ cup of bath salts to each bag. This made 22 bags and 2 jars for her teachers.
Do your kids make gifts for their friends and if so what do they make?