Disclaimer: This post is contributed by Planning With Kids partner Pureharvest.
These clusters are high in protein, healthy monounsaturated fats, and loaded with vitamins and minerals. Plus they are gluten free. They are quick and easy to make and you can mix and match the nuts, seeds, and puffed grain combinations depending on what your kids like. Just remember to keep the ratio of dry ingredients to sweetener the same!
Perfect for after school snacks and a snack for when you are out and about. Plus they are great fun to make with the kids. Enjoy!
- 1 cup puffed rice
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- ½ cup Rice Malt Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all the ingredients (except the rice malt syrup and vanilla) together and place on a baking tray to toast. They should take around 10 minutes but be sure to watch them carefully to make sure they don’t burn. When they are nicely toasted remove from the oven and place on the bench to cool.
- Pour the rice malt syrup into a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Let it simmer until a thin foam forms on top of the rice malt syrup.
- Remove the rice malt syrup from the heat. Pour in the toasted nut mixture, add the vanilla powder and stir until well combined.
- Using a wet table spoon, scoop heated spoonful of the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. Once you have allowed the mixture to cool slightly (about 2 minutes), using wet fingers gently press each cluster together. This will ensure they don’t fall apart.
- Once cooled they are ready to be enjoyed. Store them in an airtight container.
- If you like a little extra crunch bake them in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes.
More great recipes like this on the Pureharvest blog:
More recipes and tips from Pureharvest
- 10 Simple Ways to Reduce Your Child’s Sugar Intake
- Need help hiding veggies?
- Healthy Chocolate Clusters…Seriously?
- Chocolate Coconut Cake Pop
- Fun Froyo Pops
- Cinnamon Glazed Coconut Doughnuts
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn
- Gingerbread Men
- Colourful fried rice
- Family Friendly Chocolate Rum Balls
- Berry Bunny Pancakes
- Anzac Biscuits