This crunchy broccoli salad of mine was originally published on Essential Kids a number of years ago and I have linked to it a number of times because while it is definitely a salad for those that like broccoli, it is a tasty and satisfying addition to a main meal.
Anyway at some point Essential Kids was taken over by Fairfax and then they scrapped the site altogether so when you click on any links for the recipes I had on Essential Kids they go through to 9 Honey Parenting. Over the coming months, I will be publishing some of the best recipes that I created for Essential Kids on Planning With Kids, kicking off with the crunchy broccoli salad today.
If you follow my weekly prep posts on Facebook you would see that I prep a lot of broccoli. And unlike the sweet potato that I also prep a lot of, I do get sick of broccoli. I usually heat it up and add it as a side to meals but turning it into this broccoli salad mixes it up and also adds extra goodness with seeds, berries and other plants.
I keep the dressing in the jar and separate for the whole time and only add it to the salad just before eating. That way the crunchy broccoli salad keeps for longer in the fridge.
Crunchy broccoli salad
- 6 cups small broccoli florets
- ½ cup thinly sliced celery
- ¼ small Spanish onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp goji berries
- 1 cup almonds roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Add broccoli, celery and onion to a large bowl.
- Toss gently then add the coriander, sunflower seeds and almonds.
- To make the dressing combine the mustard, olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the dressing over the salt and season with salt and pepper to taste.