Books are always a big feature of Christmas at our house. A love of reading and encouragement of reading is absolutely one of the best gifts you can give your kids. Reading and storytelling with your child promotes brain development and imagination, teaches your child about language and emotions, and strengthens your relationship when you read together often. You can read more about why reading is important for babies and young children and tips for reading to your kids here.
Right now at our house we are in the midst of our Christmas book choosing time. Once the kids reached an age where they wanted to buy each other a present for Christmas, we agreed that they could buy each other a book for Christmas. This works super well on a few key ways:
- the kids then have books to read over the summer
- it shows we value books highly as we give them as Christmas gifts
- they are timestamped moments – the kids write a note in the book before wrapping it and these messages are gorgeous to read years down the track
- it reduces the amount of junky toys etc that are brought into the house at Christmas
So I am super excited to be able to present this wonderful Give the gift of reading this Christmas – Puffin Giveaway! With lots of activity in the lead up to Christmas, taking the time to read a Christmas book with your child is a simple way to slow things down and spend time connecting together.
The giveaway is jam-packed full of festive children’s books (over $250 worth!), including beloved reads featuring classic characters like Bluey, Peter Rabbit and the Very Hungry Caterpillar:
- Bluey: Hooray, It’s Christmas! A Sticker Activity Book
- Bluey: Verandah Santa
- Spot’s Christmas by Eric Hill
- Happy Christmas from the Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Peppa Pig: Peppa’s Christmas Post
- Peppa Pig: Peppa’s Night Before Christmas
- A Christmas Wish: A Peter Rabbit Tale by Beatrix Potter
- The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit by Emma Thompson and Beatrix Potter
- Ho! Ho! Ho! There’s a Hippopotamus on Our Roof Eating Christmas Cake by Hazel Edwards
- Slinky Malinki’s Christmas 123 by Lynley Dodd
- The First Christmas by Jess Racklyeft
- What Do You Wish For? by Jane Godwin and Anna Walker
- John Williamson’s Christmas in Australia by John Williamson and Mitch Vane
- The Jolly Christmas Postman by Janet & Allan Ahlberg
- I’m Ready for Christmas by Jedda Robaar
This giveaway is open to Australian residents only. The prize will be sent out in the first week of December, but I cannot guarantee what the delivery date will be due to congestion in the postal network at this time.
Some of the links contain affiliate links, which means at no extra cost to you, making purchases through them helps support this site. Thank you!