I am trying really hard to black beans. They have never been something I have eaten, but now that I am eating meatless, I am trying to mix up the sources of protein I am eating and include more beans.
The reality is I still much prefer lentils and chickpeas, so I will still eat these much more, but black beans will get a regular run when I cook them in this recipe.
There are so many lovely flavours in this dish and as they have simmered for a while, they are softer in feel to eat.
Black bean rice bowl
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 440 grams diced tomatoes
- 2 400 grams organic black beans
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp ground hot chilli
- Finely chop onion and prepare garlic for crushing.
- Drain and rinse black beans thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, then add onion and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add black beans and stir for a further 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add cumin and chilli and stir until mixed in well.
- Add tomatoes to the saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Once it has started to boil, place on the lid, turn down and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and then serve with Mexican rice and fresh salsa