This post is contributed by Planning With Kids partner Pureharvest.
Gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, soy, nut and egg allergies!!! Food allergies in Australia have been growing steadily over the last decade, especially among children. Whether you have a child that suffers from an allergy or intolerance or not, it is important to be mindful of these, especially when it comes to preparing something for your child to share with the class on their birthday.
These Friendly Chocolate Clusters are dairy, soy, egg, nut and gluten free so they are perfect for your child to take to celebrate their birthday at school. They also free from refined sugars!!!
Serves: makes 12 medium or 24 small clusters
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2hr (this includes time for clusters to set)
- 4 cups crumbled up Pureharvest Rice Cakes or Puffed Rice
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup Pureharvest Rice Malt Syrup
- ½ cup organic cacao powder
1. Place 12 medium – large cupcake cases on a tray, or 24 small cupcake cases and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the puffed rice and desiccated coconut.
3. In a small saucepan heat together the coconut oil and rice malt syrup on a low heat, until all the coconut oil has melted. Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in the cacao powder. Once the powder is mixed through, pour this mixture over the coconut and rice puffs.
4. Take a wooden spoon or spatula and mix well, until all the coconut and rice puffs are covered with the wet mixture.
5. Spoon into the prepared cupcake cases and set aside to cool and then place them in the fridge to set completely.
You can make these up to a day before any event or birthday party you might be having. They are rich and chocolaty but contain no unhealthy additives such as refined sugar or dairy. They are also great for kid’s parties as they don’t contain any nuts and are suitable for most children.