Menu Plan for week beginning 7th Jan 2008:
Monday â€“ Fried Rice
Tuesday â€“ Chicken Stir Fry with Rice
Baking White Choc Chip Muffins
Wednesday â€“ Spaghetti Bolognaise
Thursday â€“ Sausages and Salad
Friday â€“ Left overs â€“ clean out the fridge!
Saturday – Chicken wings, corn on the cob and baked potatoes.
Sunday â€“ Oven Baked Fish and Vegetables
Look forward to seeing what everyone else has planned!
Recipe for Fried Rice
Although we call this dish fried rice, the rice is not actually fried so it quite healthy and the kids love it.
2 cups Rice White (yes I know I should use brown, but I just canâ€™t!)
1 Large Capsicum Red chopped finely
3 Large Carrots grated
8 Rash Bacon (I use Shortcut Rindless) chopped
6 Large Eggs
6 sticks of Spring Onions
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Put rice on to cook by your preferred method. We have a rice cooker and I use that.
2. While rice is cooking I tend to get each ingredient ready. Firstly I crack all eggs into a bowl and beat lightly.
3. Chop bacon into even pieces, about 1.5cm x 1.5cm.
4. Peel and grate carrots.
5. Finely chop capsicum
6. Slice finely the spring onions
7. Heat a large non stick frying pan to a medium temperature and then pour egg mixture into pan. Cook this like an omelet, pulling away the sides to enable all of the mixture to cook. Once the mixture has firmed and looks like it has browned slightly on the bottom, then using an egg lifter, divide the egg into four parts. This makes it easier to turn each section over to cook the other side. Once the second side has browned, remove from the pan and allow to cool.
8. Add oil to the pan and turn up heat slightly. Once oil is hot, add the bacon and cook to desired taste. I like it to be crispy.
9. Leaving the bacon in the pan, add spring onions and cook, stirring constantly for about a minute.
10. Add the capsicum and carrot, cooking and stirring frequently for about 2-3 minutes.
11. Chop egg into pieces of about 2cm x 2 cm.
12. Turn heat down on pan to low and add rice, mixing the ingredients through.
13. Finally add egg to the pan and mix through evenly.
14. Season with salt and pepper if required.
My children love to have this with some sweet chilli sauce or soy sauce drizzled on top.
Recipe for White Choc Chip Muffins
2 cups self raising flour
Â½ – Â¾ cup caster sugar (I think it was actually Â¾ but I always reduce it to about Â½ cup)
Â¾ cup milk
Â½ cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup white choc chips (if large chips chop roughly first)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Sift flour and sugar into a bowl. Mix and make a well in the middle.
3. In a separate bowl mix the remaining ingredients (except choc chips).
4. Pour the liquid ingredients into well and mix with a wooden spoon. Muffins are best when made quickly and not over mixed.
5. Add choc chips and mix lightly through.
6. Spoon into well greased muffin pans or patty pans in muffin tray
7. Cooking time depends on the size and oven, but 12 -15 minutes is about average for the standard patty pan size.