Across the five kids we have a range of readers, from reluctant to those who I have to tell to put a book down and do something else for break! Having avid readers is great, but it can provide a challenge in keeping them in books. Here are some things I have done to help with this challenge:
- Teach them your local library reservation system – if you aren’t a member of your local library, then that would be the first step, but I am assuming you are a member of local library. Teach your child how to go online and use the reservations system from home. Our 10 year old is always adding books to our card and I receive email notifications when they are ready for us to pick up.
- Talk to your school librarian – if your school has a librarian, talk to them about making sure your child gets a number of books out at library time each week and ask them for suggestions of books based on what they have currently enjoyed.
- Become friends with your local book store – we have a great local book store and the staff are fantastic at making recommendations.
- Join email lists – I have signed up to a number of email lists so I can keep up to date with new books for kids. You might like to try signing up to the following newsletters – Readings, Penguin Australia and Hardie Grant.
Book lists on the blog
Over the years I have written a number of book lists and I have also had guest writers put together lists as well. I regularly refer back to the lists to see if there is something the kids haven’t read.
- 10 Books for 12-15 year olds
- 10 Books for 9-12 year olds
- 8 funny books for girls (6-12)
- 8 books for boys featuring awesome girls
- 25 top books for boys (7-12*)
- 10 Book Series For Kids Of Varying Ages
- Books For 13 Year Old Boys
- Our Favourite Christmas Books
- Books For Boys – 8 to 11 Year Olds
- 10 Favourite Children’s Books – 7 Year Old’s Choice
- 10 Favourite Children’s Books – 9 Year Old’s Choice
Other book list resources
Here are some other great resources on the internet that you might like to check out to keep your avid reader in books:
- Your Kid’s Next Read – this is a Facebook group created by author Alison Tait and teacher-librarian Megan Daley. It is for anyone who’s looking for the perfect next book for a child, tween or teen.
- Kids’ Book Review – this is a 100% voluntary children’s literature and book review site that supports and features authors, illustrators and publishers Australia-wide and internationally.
- The Book Chook – book reviews, resources and tips for parents and teachers from an Australian writer.