If you are thinking this is one of my raw unprocessed sweet treat recipes then you should check out these recipes or look away now! This is a very sugar laden treat.
We have had a tradition in our family for many years that the birthday person in the house is allowed to choose their cake. I cannot remember the last time anyone but me asked for something that wasn’t an ice cream cake.
This recipe was for Mr I, he said the kids could choose the flavour of the ice cream cake. After having had a salted caramel dessert recently the kids thought a salted caramel ice cream cake would be great. Somehow in our discussions it then morphed into a Snickers ice cream cake.
I cherish our family traditions no matter how small. For Mr I’s birthday we as he normally only makes it home in time for cake we try to do something that will surprise him.
This year it was decorating with tea light candles.
I didn’t taste the cake, but the consensus was that it was the best ice cream cake I had made and master 10 whose birthday is in April said that is what he wants for his birthday cake next year.
I use bought ice cream for this recipe to save time, but of course you could make your own.
I made a little extra so we could make some snickers cups. The kids raved about these!
And there were sparklers.
The kids can help make the cake, but I would make sure an adult does the salted caramel due to the heat and splash level. You could also buy the caramel sauce instead of making it yourself. I have used this one from Coles before in other recipes and people have loved the taste of it.
Having everything set up makes it easy to put the Snickers ice cream cake together.
You really could put as a much of the ingredients as you like at any time, but I find it easier to add it in stages.
It does need at least 4 hours or so to reset in the freezer.
- 2 litres of vanilla ice-cream
- 200 grams white sugar
- 90 grams butter (salted)
- 125ml heavy cream
- 1 tsp good quality salt
- 150 grams milk chocolate
- 100 grams peanuts
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and empty the content into a large bowl.
- Break the ice cream up so it begins to soften
- While the ice cream is softening, add sugar to a medium sized saucepan and place on a medium heat.
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. As you do the sugar will start to go lumpy. Keep stirring through this stage and it should soon melt into an golden brown liquid.
- Keep an eye on it for this stage to happen as you don’t want to burn it. As soon as it is completely melted add chopped butter and gents stir.
- Keep stirring until the butter is completely melted.
- Once the butter is melted, slowly pour the cream in, again stirring constantly. Be careful when added the cream as it can bubble and splash.
- Allow this mixture to come to the boil and let it boil for about a minute or until it rises.
- Then remove it from the heat and stir in the salt. Set aside.
- Break chocolate up into small pieces and place in a heavy based microwave safe dish. (If you prefer to use a double boiler to temper the chocolate you can do that.)
- Heat the chocolate on high for 1 min 15 seconds. Stir and melt again for approximately 30 seconds. If not melted after this, stir each time and heat for 15 second bursts until it is completely melted. Set aside.
- Crush peanuts using a wooden rolling pin and set aside.
- Once the icecream has melted, pour in a little over a third of the salted caramel into the ice cream and stir.
- Pour a little over a third of the melted chocolate into the ice cream and stir.
- Add a little over a third of the peanuts and mix again.
- Repeat this process again.
- Line a springform cake tin with plastic wrap and then pour the ice-cream mixture into the tin.
- Use the remaining salted caramel, chocolate and peanuts to decorate the cake.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 3 - 4 hours, preferably over night.
Our family menu plan for the week
Week Commencing 18th July and 1st August
|Mon||Slow cooker butter chicken
|Tue||Zucchini and Spaghetti Bolognese
Roast tomato salad
|Wed||Home made hamburgers and salad|
|Thu||Slow cooker chicken noodle soup
|Fri||Tacos with homemade seasoning
|Sat||Sausages, veg and crispy mashed potato mounds|
|Sun||Chicken schnitzel and vegetables|
|Shopping List||Weekly menu plan shopping list 160718
More family friendly recipes
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes.