Now the weather is colder, I have found I am not so keen on eating veggie sticks as I was in the warmer months. Eating my greens is always a challenge for me, so I wanted to find a way to have a snack on hand or an easy way to add greens to my meal that was prepared in advanced.
My first item to help me with this was broccoli fritters and they actually taste really good! These weren’t made for the kids, just me and to be honest, I do not think my kids would eat them. I however like them and can heat them quickly to eat or eat them cold on their own or add a couple to my dinner meal if it is lacking in greens.
They don’t take too long to make and you could easily add more herbs and spices to boost the flavour. If you are vegetarian you could omit the bacon and add some grated carrot. If you have a nut allergy you could use plain flour instead of almond flour.
- 2 medium heads of broccoli (approx 500 grams cut up without stems)
- 1 onion
- 4 short cut rash bacon
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup almond flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- Finely chop bacon and onion. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and fry the bacon and onion until the onion is translucent.
- Transfer bacon and onion to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Roughly chop the broccoli and place it in the food processor Pulse until all of the broccoli is finely chopped.
- Add broccoli to the mixing bowl. Beat the eggs and pour onto broccoli. Add the almond flour and salt and mix well.
- Heat remaining coconut oil in the frying pan on a medium heat. You can wash the frying pan, but I left it as is for extra flavour.
- Use a ¼ cup measure and scoop out the fritter mixture. Place 4 - 6 in the frying pan depending on your size.
- Fry each fritter for 3 -4 minutes each side. Check the bottom is a golden colour before flipping over before frying again on the other side.
- Repeat the process until you have used all mixture.
- Serve with a generous dollop of garlic aioli and enjoy!
Our weekly menu plan
Lots more winter type recipes on the plan this week.
Week Commencing1st June
|Mon||Slow cooker roast beef|
|Tue||Chicken schnitzel and vegetables|
|Wed||Beef stir fry and crunchy noodles|
|Fri||Quick tuna rice|
|Sat||Dinner with friends|
|Sun||Roasted Chicken with lemon and shallot asparagus|
|Shopping List||Weekly menu plan shopping list 150601
PWK Menu Planning App
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog. The app is only $AUD1.29.
Please note this app is available in iTunes only and you cannot add your own recipes.
What’s on the plan this week at your house?