At the moment stir fries are a regular feature on our weekly meal plans. I tend to plan them at the start of the week. If I know I have a full day on Monday for example, as part of my weekly preparation session on the weekend I will cut up veggies, so they are ready to go for a stir fry. It just makes life that little bit easier.
This is a simple stir fry that the kids like. They particularly like the cashews!
To make the sauce I use Pureharvest Tamari soy sauce which is gluten free, you could use regular soy sauce if you wish.
You can serve the meal with rice, or enjoy it on its own.
- 1kg chicken breast (you could use thigh if you prefer)
- 1 large red capsicum
- 2 bunches broccolini
- 2 large carrots
- 125 gms snow peas
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup cashews, roasted
- 3 tsps arrowroot (or cornflour)
- 3 tbsp Pureharvest Tamari soy sauce (or regular soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup good quality veggie or chicken stock
- Rice to serve
- Finely grate ginger, chop carrots, capsicum and trim snow peas and trim and halve broccolini.
- Slice chicken into thin pieces. Combine the arrowroot (or cornflour), 1 tbsp coconut oil and 1 ½ tbsp Tamari soy sauce in a medium bowl and mix. Add the chicken and mix again.
- If you are having rice, prepare as per preferred method.
- Heat olive oil in wok or frying pan. Add garlic and ginger and stir for a minute or two.
- Add chicken mixture and brown stirring frequently. Once chicken is cooked add all vegetables stir fry for a minute or so. Then add the stock and remaining tamari soy sauce and cook for a few minutes until thickened.
- Turn off heat, add cashews and stir through.
- Serve as is or on a bed of rice.
Our weekly menu plan
Week Commencing 16th Mar
|Mon||Chicken stir fry|
|Wed||Sausages and crispy mashed potato mounds|
|Thu||New recipe - slow cooker chicken tacos|
|Fri||Sweet potato hash, eggs and avocado|