This is one of those flexible recipes; you can use what veggies you have on hand and is a great way to use up veggies that need to be used up pretty soon.
I used the stalks from a couple of pieces of broccoli that we were going to be using soon and carrot and zucchini.
For additional flavour, I added Tamari soy sauce and I think next time I will also add some of my homemade sweet chilli sauce as well.
As we have five kids this recipe makes a lot of burgers, so you can either make up a big batch if you have a smaller family and freeze the burgers or halve the ingredients.
- 1.2kg chicken breasts
- 3 zucchini
- 4 carrots
- 2 broccoli stalks
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp Pureharvest tamari
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- In a food processor grate, zucchini, carrots and broccoli.
- Remove the vegetables from the food processor and place in a large bowl. Crush garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Change from the grating blade to the mixing blade and add chicken breasts to the food processor. Pulse until the chicken has been finely minced.
- Add the chicken to the veggies. Whisk the eggs lightly together then add to the mixture. Add tamari and mix well.
- Add in the rice flour and combine. I find using my hands and squeezing the mixture works well to combine thoroughly.
- Use a ¼ cup of the mixture and shape into burgers. We like them thin, so flatten them out.
- Place them on a sheet of baking paper as you continue to make them.
- Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan on a medium high heat. Place burgers in the pan and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden. I fit 7 burgers at a time in our pan.
- Remove from the pan. If you want to keep them all warm, place them in a dish and cover with aluminium foil.
- These burgers freeze really well. I simply separate them with baking paper and then place them in a freezer container.
- For the kids lunches I will cut up the burgers, put them in wraps with some salad and mayo.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week
Super simple plan for this week. Looking forward to the warmer weather!
Week Commencing 5th Jan
|Mon||New chicken stir fry recipe|
|Tue||Taco Tuesday of course!|
|Wed||Roast pumpkin salad
Slow cooker shredded beef and rocket salad
|Thu||Slow cooker lemon chicken
|Fri||Pasta with chicken and baby spinach|
|Sat||Pan Fried Fish and Salad|
|Sun||Honey roasted lamb shoulder|
|Shopping List||Weekly menu plan shopping list 5th Jan|
Menu Planning App
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. You might like to also check out the Planning With Kids Menu Planning App.
If you have the app, be sure to check out all the new recipes that have been loaded over the last week. You should now be able to find all of this year’s recipes added.
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
What’s on your menu plan this week?