In this post I wrote earlier this year I shared what my kids ate for breakfast now that I know longer buy commercial breakfast cereals.
My kids like variety and so I am still working on new recipes to keep them interested in breakfast and have some options that the littlest one can do for himself.
The five year old loves these chocolate rice puffs. It isn’t something he has everyday, but if he is up early and is looking for breakfast before I come home from the gym, he will happily pour himself a bowl of chocolate rice puffs.
Chocolate rice puffs are super simple to make and the recipe has only three ingredients. The ingredients listed can easily be halved if you want to test it out on your kids first or made in much larger quantities if you have many mouths to feed.
- 5 cups rice puffs
- 2 - 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat the oven 85 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl add the rice puffs.
- In a small bowl add melted coconut oil, cacao powder and maple syrup and mix well.
- Pour the coconut mix onto the rice puffs then mix well with a large spoon.
- Line tray with baking paper and spread the rice puffs onto the tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until dry. About half way through the cooking process, stir and mix the rice puffs, then smooth out on the tray again.
- Allow the rice puffs to cool completely before storing in an airtight jar.
- NOTE - I have been making this now in the air fryer with great success. It is much quicker and you don't have to keep an eye on it all the time.
Our family menu plan for the week
Lots of family favourites in this week’s menu plan! While it isn’t the most exciting plan, it is made up of ideas from the kids which they love. This means that meal time will be more enjoyable!
Week Commencing 27th Oct
|Mon||Slow cooker chicken noodle soup|
|Thu||Creamy chicken and sweet potato stew|
|Fri||Home made hamburgers and salad|
|Sun||Slow cooker roast lamb
Choc banana muffins (gluten, dairy and nut free)
|Shopping List||Weekly menu plan shopping list 141027|
More family friendly recipes
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes.
What have you been making for the kids’ lunch boxes recently?