For some time I have been wanting to come up with a healthier alternative to the rice bubble slice I make for the kids. I still wanted it to be quick and easy to make and I wanted the kids to like it too.
This rice cake slice ticked both boxes. The kids did note that isn’t as sweet as the other one I make, but I am working on recalibrating their taste buds, so after a few more batches of this slice, they will hopefully forget about my other sugar laden version.
I love using rice cakes as a base for this slice and am going to play around with using it as an ingredient for other recipes too. The Pureharvest rice cakes are made from 100% brown rice.
The recipe only takes minute to makes, so handy when you are short on time.
You could easily get creative and add more seeds to the slice to jazz it up a little.
- 150 grams packet Pureharvest Natural Rice Cakes
- ⅓ cup rice malt syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ⅓ cup Pureharvest organic tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a slice tray with baking paper.
- Crush rice cakes by hand into a large bowl.
- In a bowl mix melted coconut oil, tahini, rice malt syrup and vanilla.
- Pour the rice malt syrup mix onto the crushed rice cakes and mix well.
- Pour into the lined tray and press down firmly using your hands.
- Place in the fridge to set for a couple of hours.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into slices with a sharp knife.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Have you used rice cakes in baking before?
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week
The 8 year old has been begging me to make sushi, so it is on the plan for this week.
Week Commencing 23rd June
|Mon||Beef Stir Fry|
|Tue||Gluten free meatballs|
|Wed||Marinated Steak and Garlic Mash|
|Thu||Moroccan minted beef|
|Fri||Sweet potato hash, eggs and avocado|
|Sun||Slow cooker roast lamb
|Shopping List||Weekly menu plan shopping list 140623|
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. You might like to also check out Planning With Kids Menu Planning App.
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.