I enjoy the half yearly check up. I see it as a time to review, refocus and start again. In the past I think I have dwelled too much on what I haven’t achieved and not recognised appropriately or celebrated my successes. Over the last six months I have dropped a goal, missed some and just reached others.
My highlight fro 2013 so far is with the success I have had with one of my goals – Continue to improve my diet:
- At the end of March I started on low carb lunches.
- Late April I cut out all processed foods, including sugar and wheat and except diet coke.
- Two weeks ago (Mon 17th June) I cut out diet coke.
- I am currently undertaking a Paleo/Zone Challenge for four weeks at my gym, which has cut out any natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, dates etc.
I will talk more about some of the changes I have made in future posts. But I like this before and after shot of what my lunches were at the start of the year compared to now. Let’s hope the end of the year photo is just as positive!
Now to review the rest of my goals!
Me – I am less rushed and healthier.
- Continue to improve my diet – one meat free meal a week, reduce consumption of sugar and carbs. Success – As noted above!
- Read six books by the end of the year. Abandoned – admitted defeat and have scrapped this goal for this year.
- Add variety to my exercise regime. Success – I now have a good balance of running and strength exercise.
- Sleep at least 6 hours a night on a regular basis. Needs more work – The last month has been rather woeful, averaging around only 5 hours a night.
Family – We spend more time doing things together.
- Monthly family meetings. Success – we are having useful regular meetings.
- Eat out together on a quarterly basis. Success – have eaten out twice for the year.
- Have an active family holiday. Awaiting action – have something scheduled for the second half of the year.
- Two big bush walks throughout the year. Awaiting action – have something scheduled for the second half of the year.
Relationship – We have more time together on our own and support each others interests.
- A weekend away in 2013. Awaiting action – have something scheduled for the second half of the year.
- Attend an event in the Comedy Festival, see 1 play, see 1 live music gig and a attend one event at the Melbourne Festival. Needs more work – have hit one of these, the Comedy Festival, so need to do more in the second half of the year.
- Mr I will play football, cricket and cycle. Success – Mr I is also running and swimming regularly as well as playing football.
- I will continue exercising 5 – 6 times a week. Success – I am making sure I have regular rest days to give my body a break.
Work – Improved usability and resources on the blog and improved blogging skills.
- Analyse PWK survey and implement changes to the blog by quarter one. Success – completed.
- Develop the calendar to the next stage by quarter two. Abandoned – have decided against going ahead with this for 2014.
- Take course at Sydney Writers Centre by quarter three. Awaiting action.
- Release new product by quarter four. Altered goal – I have a different project I am going to work through instead of releasing a new product as such in quarter four.
How are you going with your goals for 2013?
Time For Rest and Creativity
As this post is published I will start two weeks holiday leave. I leave for Portland, Oregan, USA tomorrow to attend the World Domination Summit with Darren Rowse and Jasmin Tragas from the Problogger Events Team.
I have scheduled posts on the blog, facebook, tweets and some other social media activity. I may be about online, but it will be in my personal capacity. I am so excited about attending the World Domination Summit. If you haven’t heard of it before it is described as:
WDS remains a non-commercial, non-sponsored event. It’s all about unconventional, remarkable people coming together for a weekend of adventure.
There are amazing people coming along to speak and there are so many fantastic events part of and alongside of it. I intend to soak it all up as much as I can and explore some ideas I have going around in my head.
As noted earlier, the blog posts will be published as usual, with a couple of guest posts as well. But I am going to step away from the day to day stuff of the blog for two weeks to give myself a chance to have time for rest, time for creativity and then time with the kids when I return home.
I have been working hard the last couple of months, so I am looking forward to the break and then coming back with renewed energy and ideas after the 16th July.
Thank you so much for reading the blog and for your support of Planning With Kids, I do really appreciate it.