I love sweet chilli sauce! When I cut out processed foods I missed this, so I set about finding away to make my own, which I did with fabulous success. Not only is this sweet chilli sauce recipe easy to make, but it tastes amazing.
I have not however had any for the last week nor will I for the next 3 weeks as I take part in a little challenge being run at my gym. As part of this challenge we cannot even have natural sweeteners like honey. Will look forward to adding this sauce into my stir frys when the challenge is over!
- 6 medium cloves of garlic
- 4 red chilli peppers
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 and ½ tsp arrowroot powder + 6 tbsp water
- Cut chillies in half width ways and add them to the food processor.
- Chop garlic cloves in half and add them to the food processor.
- Add all the other ingredients with the exception of the arrowroot powder to the food processor.
- Blend until the chillies are all finely minced. You may need to take the lid off a couple of times and check how it is going, give it a mix, to make sure you don't have any big chunks of chilli.
- Pour this mixture into a medium sized saucepan and let it come to the boil on a medium-high heat.
- Once boiling reduce the heat a little so it is just simmering. Allow the mixture to bubble gently for about 3-4 minutes.
- While this is simmering in a small mixing bowl whisk together the water and arrowroot powder.
- Add this to the liquid in the saucepan so it will thicken. This process can take a little time. It took about 10 - 12 minutes for mine to come to a consistency I was happy with.
- You will need to stir frequently to make sure that the sauce does not catch on the bottom of the saucepan.
- Once thick enough for you, let it cool down. Once cooled funnel or pour it into your glass bottles.
- Keep in the fridge.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week
As noted above I am undertaking a challenge at my gym which is all about eating a mix of macronutrients at each meal. It is requires quite a bit of planning and preparation so for the next few weeks, don’t be surprised if you see very similar recipes on our meal plan. This will be what the family is eating and I will tweak it for my challenge.
Week Commencing 22nd June
|Sun||Slow cooker roast beef
Ham and cheese scrolls
Easy Chocolate Cake - take two after my dropped and salvaged incident last week.
|Mon||Chicken balls and Roast pumpkin salad|
|Tue||Spaghetti and Zucchini Bolognese|
|Wed||Chicken schnitzel and vegetables|
|Fri||Scrambled eggs and tomatoes|
|Shopping List||Weekly menu plan shopping list for 22nd June 2013|
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a weekly basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
Are you a sweet chilli sauce fan?