Well I have tried that with our six year old and while it has kept the cut up apple from turning brown, he still wouldn’t eat it because he said it tasted funny.
I wish he was like the other kids who happily eat a whole apple in their lunch box, but late last year he just stopped doing so. Apples are such a easy and affordable fruit to put in the lunch box, so I have persisted this term, trying different types of apples without success.
I regularly cut up apple for afternoon tea, which he eats, so I asked if he would eat it an apple cut up in his lunch box. He said he would so I set out looking all over the internet for a non lemon solution to keeping apples from discolouring. (If you are after more ideas and tips on preparing food for the kids lunches, then check out my meal prep process.)
There were a variety of ways and I used my combined knowledge to do this!
Cut up apple in the morning and place it in water with a small amount of salt, then let it soak for about 5 minutes. I roughly used about 4 cups of water to a teaspoon of salt and Granny Smith apples.
As the apple was rinsed you couldn’t taste the salt and I now know I have one more fruit my bit of fuss pot six year old will eat in his lunch box!
Are any of your kids fussy about the fruit they will eat in their lunch box?
Do you want to make feeding the family easier?
If you want to make feeding the family easier and less stressful, then Meal Prep Primer is for you! Meal Prep Primer shows you how to plan effectively to spend time in the kitchen over the weekend and prep food that will make your week days easier:
- Imagine being able to simply pick and pack from your pre-made items to make the kids’ lunch boxes.
- Imagine being able to make a meal in minutes when you come in late after work or an after school activity using the food you prepped on the weekend.
- Imagine eating a nutritious homemade lunch each day that you can simply reheat in a flash.
This can be a reality for you and it doesn’t have to take up all of your weekend.
In the course I will teach you the process I have developed over these years. The course will:
- save you time
- save you money
- save you stress through the week days
- ensure your family eats well
- allow you to enjoy meal time more with the family