I asked the gorgeous Nikki from Styling You a number of weeks ago if she would like to write a guest post for me on the essential fashion items for winter for mums. I have personally held off my pre-conference shopping until this post, to make sure I have more of a plan for what I actually buy. I love this post, so thanks Nikki!
Nikki’s fabulous blog Styling You is about fashion and beauty for the real world. Now is a great to visit her blog as she is giving away $2000 worth of prizes – prizes made up from some of her favourite things like a Mimco Beatnik Hip Bag, Not Your Daughter’s Jeans and Cloud Nine Hair iron. Actually don’t enter – I want to win!
Mums are always on the move. We need simple, easy-care fashion and beauty solutions to work for us every day. As the seasons change it’s time to take stock and check that you have these wardrobe and beauty cabinet essentials at the ready.
1. JeansNot just any jeans. You want jeans that not only look good but that you look forward putting them on every day. If you’ve struggled to find pair that does both these things, check out Not Your Daughter’s Jeans. You can even check out me in a pair in my review here.
2. A jacket or coatThe weight and style should suit winter where you are – ideally it’s a jacket or coat that looks just as at home, out to lunch or at the park.
3. A pair flat boots or ballet flatsChoose a style that is comfortable but still looks dressed up. I like to have both options as some days are not as cold as others.
4. Black leggingsWith black leggings you can turn a summer dress or tunic into a winter outfit – just add boots and ballet flats and a top layered underneath. You can also see my full review of these Country Road Jeggings for more info.
5. Non-bulky layering garmentsMetalicus’ Basics range is a firm fixture in my wardrobe. They’re lightweight, can be washed in a lingerie bag and don’t need ironing.
6. A go-to dressChoose a style that can be layered over a Metalicus top and worn with leggings and boots or ballet flats. I have several like this that are perfect because they’re non-iron as well. Clothes like this are what I call my secret weapons – they can get you from the playground to the office. You can see more ideas in my post Women on the move: these are your wardrobe secret weapons
7. ScarvesThese are winter’s version of the statement necklace. Don’t leave home without one for both warmth and interest.
8. Lip balmLips and winter do not go well together – always carry a tube with you. This is my favourite – it’s also good for cuts and grazes.
9. Face moisturiserIf your skin is prone to dryness then consider a more hydrating formula for winter.
10. Hair treatmentOur hair may not be prone to the frizziness of summer but in winter it’s subjected to vast changes in temperatures – in and out of heating. You’re also more likely to get out the hairdryer than have dripping hair on a cold day. Treat your hair once a week to an at-home treatment.
What do you have on your “must have” list for this winter?