While I don’t eat gluten, refined sugars or dairy I still do bake for the family with all these types of ingredients. When I made this lemon slice recipe recently I really liked the lemony smell, so I decided to make a version of lemon slice that I would want to eat and it turned out lovely.
While it is a sweet treat, the tartness of the lemon balances it out and it is not too sweet. This recipes makes quite a large amount either 12 big slices or 24 squares so perfect if you are entertaining.
The base layer is just dates and cashews.
And the top layer is predominantly coconut and lemon.
This slice will freeze well if you want to make it in advance.
- 2 cup cashews
- 2 cups dates
- 1 tbsp lemon rind
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon rind
- Add cashews and dates to a food processor and pulse until mixture starts to stick together. You can check if it is ready by squeezing an amount in your hand. If it sticks together easily then it is ready.
- Pour mixture into a slice tray lined with baking paper.
- Add all of the ingredients to the food processor - (make sure you have cleaned it as you want this layer to stay white).
- Pulse until is completely blended and forming a stiff mixture.
- Spread the filling evenly over the base.
- Place in the freezer for an hour.
- Remove from freezer and allow to sit for five minutes before cutting into desired size pieces. This is best stored in an airtight container in the fridge/freezer.
More family friendly recipes
This is our family menu plan for the week!
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.