This post is part of my 10 week Christmas planning series. You can find the rest of the my Christmas planning series here.
My kids hang out for mango season and while it is still early and the mangoes are on the more expensive end, we have been enjoying this delightful summer fruit.
Each year I make at least one handmade food gift item and thought a mango chutney would be perfect – use in season fruit and keep with my upcycling theme by using old jars I had.
I used decorative duct tape to add a little something to the jars.
While I like the sweetness of mango, I didn’t want the chutney to be to sweet so added spices and a little fresh chilli to balance it out.
I am not an expert in chutneys/jams/preserves and found this post on the Nigella website useful about sterilising jars and storage of chutney useful.
- 2 mangoes
- ½ small red onion
- 1 small red capsicum
- 1 red chilli
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cms ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Prepare all the ingredients first - chop the mango, finely dice the onion, chop the capscium into small cubes, finely chop the chilli, crush the garlic, finely grate the ginger and juice the lime.
- Add coconut oil to a saucepan and melt on a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes until it softens.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli to the pan and cook again for a couple of minutes stirring while cooking.
- Next add the capsicum and stir for another couple of minutes until it softens, then add the cumin, turmeric and cinnamon.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, honey and lime juice, stir, then add the mango. Stir gently and turn down the heat to low. Simmer until the chutney is a thick consistency. Stir regularly to help the mango breakdown.
- Place into sterilised jars and store in a cool, dry and dark place. Make sure you date and name the chutney.
These are some previous handmade food gifts I have made. They are all gluten free and processed sugar free.
PWK Menu Planning App
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a regular basis. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.