My kids keep asking me to make these for their lunch boxes. They loved them and I now make them in bigger batches as this batch only lasted a day. You could add all sorts of grated veggies to the chicken mixture, but I opted to go for straight chicken.
- 1 large onion
- 700 grams chicken mince
- 1 -2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 ½ tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 20 - 24 rice paper sheets
- Approx 5 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- Finely chop onion, prepare garlic for crushing and finely dice ginger. Combine the balsamic vinegar and sweet chill sauce.
- Add the coconut oil to a large frying pan and heat on medium. Once heated add the onion and cook for 3 - 4 minutes until transparent.
- Crush garlic into the pan and add ginger, stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add chicken mince and break it up as you are cooking it.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the combined sauces and cook for a further few minutes.
- Allow the chicken mixture to cool before you begin making your spring rolls.
- Set yourself up on a space with some room. You will need a dish of warm water, a clean dry tea towel, a container to place the spring rolls into and your chicken mixture.
- Place the rice paper into the warm water for a couple of seconds. Drain off excess water then place on the tea towel.
- Place ¼ cup of mixture close to one end of the rice paper.
- Once the rice paper is soft, fold the end over the meat, then fold in each side, then roll the mixture up tightly.
- Place it in the container and repeat the process until you have made up all of your spring rolls. We made 22 spring rolls.
- Place them in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and add 5 tbsp coconut oil ( or enough to cover the base of your pan), heat on a medium heat.
- Make sure they are all sitting in oil or they will stick if you are not using a non stick fry pan. Turn frequently and brown all sides.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Add more coconut oil if needed and cook the next batch
- They cook better in smaller batches of 5 - 6.
- Either eat straight away in lettuce with mint and sweet chilli sauce or if your kids are like mine, they love them cold in their lunch box straight up!
Family friendly recipes
If you are looking for further recipe inspiration, check out my complete list of Family Friendly Recipes. You might like to also check out Planning With Kids Menu Planning App. The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a weekly basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
Have you made homemade spring rolls before? What do you put in yours?