This slow cooker beef and broccoli is pretty much like a stir fry. Key differences:
- you can make it ahead of time
- you can use cheaper cuts of meat and the meat turns out beautifully tender
With this is in mind, you could tweak this recipe to use what veggies you had on hand and alter the spice combinations to suit your preferred tastes. If it was only me eating it, I would add some fresh chillies to it as well, to bump up the heat a little.
My recipe uses coconut amino sauce. Coconut amino sauce is like soy sauce without the soy! If you eat soy sauce you could use that instead, but perhaps just a little less as it is a stronger flavour.
I however have eliminated all soy from my diet. What you choose to eat is a very personal decision and like all nutrition issues there are proponents on both side of the soy fence. If you are after info on soy, these articles are worth a read:
- 170 Scientific Reasons to Lose the Soy in Your Diet – from The Healthy Home Economist
- The Health Dangers of Soy – from The Huffington Post
- The Bottom Line on Soy and Breast Cancer Risk – from the American Cancer Society – author concludes with “Even though animal studies have shown mixed effects on breast cancer with soy supplements, studies in humans have not shown harm from eating soy foods. Moderate consumption of soy foods appears safe for both breast cancer survivors and the general population, and may even lower breast cancer risk.”
- Is Soy Bad For You, or Good? – from Authority Nutrition – author concludes with “I personally choose to avoid soy… even though the evidence is inconclusive, the fact that it is a relatively new food in the diet that contains endocrine disrupting compounds is reason enough for me.”
- ¼ cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 tbsp coconut amino sauce
- 5 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (I use my homemade sauce - recipe here)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1.5kg beef strips
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups basmati rice
- In a small mixing bowl add stock, arrowroot powder, coconut amino sauce, coconut oil (melted) and sweet chilli sauce.
- Crush garlic into the bowl and whisk it all together with a fork.
- Add this mixture to the slow cooker with the beef. Give a little stir so all the meat is covered. Don't freak out at how little liquid there is. It multiplies! As you can see in my photos there was plenty of liquid in the meal.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Thirty minutes before you wish to serve add the broccoli to the dish.
- If you like rice, serve on a bed of rice or enjoy on its own.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week
Sticking with simple this week!
Week Commencing 1st March
|Sat||Sausage and Salad|
Lunch Box Egg and Bacon Muffins
Rice bubble slice
|Mon||Pan fried chicken and salad|
|Tue||Moroccan minted beef|
|Thu||Spaghetti and Zucchini Bolognese|
|Fri||Scrambled eggs and tomatoes|
|Shopping List||Weekly menu plan shopping list 1st March 2014|
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a weekly basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
What have you been cooking in your slow cooker recently?