The preschooler has had some amazing little treats come home with Christmas cards this year. A favourite though was the popping candy chocolate elf. I only recall seeing popping candy chocolate at Christmas time.
The popping candy chocolate elf was the inspiration for these Popping Candy Chocolate Cups which the 12 year old and I made for him to take to the farewell party for his teacher.
- 2 x 200 grams of dairy milk chocolate
- 3 x 20 grams packets popping candy
- On a tray set out 30 mini chocolate truffle cases (or mini muffin cases)
- Break chocolate up into pieces and place in a heavy based microwave safe bowl.
- Heat on high for 1 minute and then stir the chocolate. I find there is still chunks of chocolate, but as I stir they melt away. I prefer to spend time stirring well to make sure the chocolate is melted than risk overheating in the microwave. If it is still very hard heat on high for 15 second bursts, stirring each time until it is melted.
- Open the popping candy and add it to the chocolate. Don’t open the popping candy and leave it in the open air as it starts to stick together.
- Mix the popping candy gently into the chocolate.
- Spoon the chocolate into the truffle cases.
- Place in the fridge to set. This will take a couple of hours. We left ours in the fridge over night.
- Remove from the fridge and take the popping candy chocolate cups out of the paper case.
- Place onto serving dish and watch and hear them disappear!
What have you been making for Christmas parties?
Family Friendly Recipes
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a weekly basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.