Books for 2013

When I wrote about my personal goals for 2103 I listed that I wanted to read six books by the end of the year.  I received comments and emails asking me to share what they were going to be, so here is my list. I will write about each book as I finish them and if you have read them would love you to join in the conversation when I post about them.

I have listed only five books as I thought I would crowd source one of them.  If you have books you think are must reads, please let me know in the comments below (you need to click through to the blog to leave a comment) and I will then update this post with my last selection.

I am very prone to only reading non fiction, so am making myself read half and half this year.  The order listed below is the order I intend to read them:

So that leaves on fiction book to add to the list – what would you recommend? It doesn’t have to be recent either.

Looking forward to reading your suggestions.

Tags: ,

• Kamala March 03, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Firstly, I must say that I love your blog but has never written a comment ,not sure why!
    My recommendation is ‘Jasper Jones” by Craig Silvery. Its a brilliant novel, easy to read and a page tuner. A must for your book list if you have not already read this one.

• PlanningQueen March 05, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Haven’t heard of it, but will look it up for sure. Appreciate your kind words and taking time to leave a comment too Kamala!

• Sam March 04, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Having run a bookclub for a number of years I’ve found people’s tastes in novels can vary widely.. but having said that, we have had a few selections that have been universally loved by our members. Three that spring to mind are;

- The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
    - Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
    - Before I go to sleep by SJ Watson

Hope that helps

• PlanningQueen March 05, 2013 at 5:36 pm

This will be a huge help, thanks for the sharing your wisdom Sam!

• Felicity O'Brien March 05, 2013 at 3:18 am

The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman is brilliant!

• PlanningQueen March 05, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Look forward to checking it out – thanks Felicity.

• Lisa March 06, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson is like drinking a glass of champagne before dinner. A perfect novel to get you back into fiction!
    Don’t envy you the Franzen. I couldn’t give my copy away.

• Sydney, Kids, Food + Travel March 11, 2013 at 12:56 pm

The best novels I read last year were ‘Wolf Hall’ and ‘Bring Up The Bodies’ by Hilary Mantel, both Booker prize winners. Absolutely marvellous. Best non-fiction was ‘Tell Me The Truth- Conversations About Life And Death With my Patients’ by oncologist DR Ranjana Srivastava, who’s a wonderful writer as well as a compassionate doctor.

• Gin March 16, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I prefer non-fiction, like you, but a couple of novels that have really stuck with me are “The Kite Runner” (it’s part memoir/historical, and relevant given Australia’s involvement in Afghanistan) and “Atonement”. I also second “The Book Thief”, gives an unusual perspective on Germany during WWII. I hear “Freedom” is a toughie – I might join you on the others.