This recipe has a few ingredients that I have used for the first time, which is how I was able to make it gluten free. This Coconut Slice is based on the Coconut Bars recipe from Elana’s Pantry, a fantastic blog sharing gluten free and organic wholesome recipes.
I did a few things differently and mine did not come out exactly like Elana’s photo, but it was delicious and incredibly moist. I used desiccated coconut as that was all I had and I think using shredded coconut would have given it a slightly different texture. Will buy some and try it next time, as I will definitely be making the coconut slice again.
The only downside is the kids’ can’t take it to school or kinder as it contains almond meal. I will also play with the coconut flour quantities to see if I can use just that instead, so it can become a lunch box snack as well.
Coconut Slice – Gluten Free
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon stevia
- ½ cup blanched almond meal
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 ½ cups desiccated (or shredded) coconut
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
2. Almond meal is not quite as fine as almond flour apparently (source), so I sifted the almond meal first and set it aside for use later.
8. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the large bowl. Beat gently again until combined. I almost freaked out a little at how super runny the mixture was, but then I read on the coconut flour packet that coconut flour absorbs a lot of moisture, so decided to go with it!
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week (a little late!)
Meat and Salad
|Tacos||Chicken Balls and Salad||New vegetarian recipe to try.||Veggie Pasta||Slow Cooker Tomato Soup||Slow Cooker Satay|
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a weekly basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
Have you cooked with coconut flour before?gluten free