Simple Quinoa Salad by PlanningQueen on January 28, 2013 in menu planning, Recipes
I made this Quinoa salad for the first time for a family BBQ recently. It was a quick salad to make and has a lovely lightness to it. You could add other ingredients to it and next time I think I will crumble some feta through it.
While it was like by the adults, it was avoided by the kids!
Simple Quinoa Salad
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber
- Salt and pepper
1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly. I place it in a sieve and run it under cold water.
2. Use a medium saucepan and add the quinoa and water.
3. Cover and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. While the quinoa is cooking, peel, deseed and dice the cucumber. Chop parsley.
5. Grate the skin of the lemon so you have 2 teaspoons of finely grated rind. Squeeze lemon so you have 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
6. At the 10 minute mark, check quinoa. All water should be fully absorbed.
7. Once quinoa is ready, return quinoa to the sieve and rinse again and drain.
8. Place quinoa in a large bowl and add parsley and cucumber. Toss gently.
9. Use a jar or other container with a lid and add lemon juice, lemon rind, oil and season with salt and pepper.
10. Put lid on and shake well. Pour over quinoa and gently toss again and then serve.
Have you made any new salads this summer?
Tags: salad, vegetarian