I wanted to try out a recipe that needed Sweet Chilli Jam. I thought about buying some, but thought I would have a crack at making some. If it worked well then I could use it in the recipe and jar the remainder and add to the gifts for neighbours.
I have only made jams a couple of times, one of which I burnt the bottom of my pot beyond redemption, so I was a little nervous about making the Sweet Chilli Jam.
While it took me much longer to make it that I anticipated – time stated was about 1 1/4 hours from the AWW, mine ending up cooking for close to 3 hours before it was the right consistency. However as I was cooking in the kitchen the whole time it wasn’t really an issue. I just stirred it occasionally and all was good.
And I think the slow cooking of it really added to the flavour – it is amazing. I think it is one of the nicest things I have made from scratch in a while.
Sweet Chilli Jam
- 1kg tomatoes
- 500 grams caster sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 5 fresh long red chillies
- 1 fresh long green chillies
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
4. Peel garlic and crush into the pot.
6. Turn the heat on to high and stir continually until the sugar is dissolved.
8. Stir occasionally throughout cooking. As noted above time for cooking will very.
10. Spoon into sterilised jars and keep in a cool dry place until needed (will keep for about three months). This article on Taste.com.au gives great simple instructions on how to sterilise jars for homemade jam. Refrigerate after opening.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week.
Meat and Veg
|Sweet Chilli Chicken Wraps||Chicken Schnitzel and Veg|
Baking: Oat and Seed Lunchbox Slice
|Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff||Veggie Pasta||Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup||Left Overs||Home made pizzas|
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a weekly basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
Are you a jam maker? Any tips for newbie jam makers like myself?