Hello and welcome to Planning With Kids! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my Free Email Updates. Thanks for visiting!
This recipe includes two of my new favourite ingredients – chia seeds and cranberries. These were a great muffin, but one that are definitely eaten best in a couple of days. The chia seeds to soak up liquid, so are not as moist as other muffins I have made.
While the kids ate them in the lunch boxes, I think they would have preferred them without the cranberries in them, as I did find a number of cranberry pieces left in their wraps!
Lemon and Chia Muffins
2 cups wholemeal self raising flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small lemon
1/4 cup chia seeds
½ cup sweetened dried cranberries
Method: 1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Place patty pans in muffin trays.
3. Roughly chop cranberries, set aside.
4. Finely chop zest of lemon, set aside.
5. Pour flour and sugar into a medium sized bowl. Mix and make a well in the middle.
6. In a separate bowl/jug mix vanilla, lemon juice, eggs, milk and oil.
7. Pour the liquid ingredients into well and mix with a wooden spoon. Muffins are best when made quickly and not over mixed.
8. Add chia seeds, cranberries and lemon zest. Mix ingredients lightly through with a wooden spoon.
9. Spoon into patty pans.
10. Cooking time depends on the size and oven, but 12 -15 minutes is about average for the standard patty pan size.
11. Muffins will be ready if you push a skewer into the middle of the muffin and it comes out clean. When cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack immediately.
This recipe made 15 standard sized muffins.
What have you been adding into your muffins lately?