This Beetroot Soup is the tastiest soup I have ever made. I adored it and had the left overs for lunch for a couple of days. The kids liked it but they think my Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is better.
I based my recipe off a recipe my husband’s Nana gave to me for Borscht. My recipe has only about half the ingredients of a traditional Borshct.
I used my fab Soup and Co to make this soup, but it could easily be adapted to be made on the stove top and I have included instructions for that at the end as well.
- 3 cups grated beetroot (I used 3 medium sized beetroots.)
- 1/4 purple cabbage
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 750mls vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
1. Wearing gloves (so your hands don’t stain) grate beetroot.
2. Thinly slice the cabbage.
3. Finely chop the onion.
5. Crush garlic on top of ingredients and add stock.
- If you are using a stock pot, bring ingredients to the boil, then turn down and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Then puree small batches at a time with a stick blender. Doing it this way you can adjust the thickness of the soup by how much of the liquid you add. For a thicker soup you can leave some of the liquid out.
- Once blended return to the pot and add sour cream. Stir in thoroughly and return to a gentle heat if the soup needs to be hotter to serve.
Our Family Menu Plan For This Week.
Meat and Veg
|Souvlaki||Chicken Schnitzel and Veg|
Baking: Chocolate Scones
|Pumpkin Soup||Pasta with chicken and baby spinach||Left |
|Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs||Scrambled Eggs|
The kid friendly menu planning app allows you to:
- Create weekly menu plans quickly, choosing as many meals per day as you would like to plan for.
- Generate the shopping list for all the meals selected.
- Modify the shopping list to check off items you already have at home.
- Email the shopping list to yourself and/or others.
The most popular recipes from the blog have been included and more will be added on a weekly basis. The app will notify you when new recipes have been added, so you will be able to deliver plenty of variety in your family’s menu plans. Each recipe lists the ingredients required, easy to follow instructions and a photo from the blog.
I have been cooking with beetroot quite a bit lately – do you have a great beetroot recipe to share?soup, vegetarian