Lunch Box Ideas – May

Lunch box ideas May set 2

Some more lunch box ideas for the kids school lunches, this time using seasonal fruit and veg for May.

I just want to note that I am not a nutritionist. I receive many comments and emails from readers on the lunch box ideas. Most are happy for the inspiration, but there have been a couple recently who have noted concerns about the food I have put together, for example about the sugar content of the home made treats or that I do let our kids eat a highly processed food like sliced ham.

These lunch box ideas are what I actually feed our kids and taken into account with the rest of their diet and their level of physical activity, I am pretty happy with the balance they have. But like most things with parenting, there is always room for improvement so what I feed the kids for lunch is a work in progress.

Thank you to everyone who provides feedback, the gathering of wisdom on the posts I know helps lots of readers of the blog. Take for example the post from the weekend on Pear Muffins. There have already been suggestions in the comments on how to tweak the recipe to suit the preferred nutritional emphasis of their families – thanks for sharing!

So with that said, here are some of my lunch box ideas for May…..

Lunch Box Ideas – May Set 1

Ham and Cheese Scrolls
Ham and Cheese Scrolls

Pear Muffins
Pear Muffins

Lunch Box Ideas May
Mandarin

Lunch Box Ideas May
Kiwi fruit – I just cut it in half and include a spoon so the kids can scoop out the flesh.

Lunch Box Ideas May

Lunch Box Ideas May
Celery

Lunch Box Ideas May
Rice Cakes

Lunch Box Ideas May
Together lunch box set 2 looks like:

For more inspiration, the table below list some fruit and veg which are in season for April. This isn’t a complete list, but just a selection of items that you might like to try including in the kids lunch boxes, either raw or baked into a snack / meal (more comprehensive lists can be found here Seasonal Fruit And Vegetables In Australia):

Seasonal Fruit for May:Seasonal Vegetable for May:Seasonal Vegetable for May:
cross
beetrootonions: brown spring
kiwifruitbroccoliparsnip
lemonsbrussels sproutpeas
limescabbagepotato
mandarin imperialcarrotspumpkin
pears howell josephine packham red sensation williamscauliflowershallots
persimmoncelerysilverbeet
rhubarbeggplantspinach
garlicswede
gingersweet potato
leekstomato
lettuceturnip
zucchini

You can see more lunch box ideas here and read more about my school lunch box process here.

Have you road tested any new recipes for the kids’ lunch boxes?

Did you enjoy this post?
Need help getting organised? Download Guide ✼ Plan ✼ Check ✓ to get you started.
Sign up for our newsletter and get a free guide to help simplify your daily tasks.

Comments

Thanks so much for these great ideas. I’m always thinking about lunchbox food and any child who gets the kind of food you suggest is very lucky!

p.s. A great piece on you in May’s Australian Good Taste. Congratulations. I particularly liked your comment on the fact that ‘when you’re the primary carer, the mood of the house revolves around you’. Always an inspiration Nicole :)

Thanks Sonia! I think that is one of the hardest things about being the primary carer, carrying the mood of the house can be a huge responsibility.

I’m going to have to buy that to have a read. Carrying the mood = light bulb moment for me. It’s the same in our house and I didn’t even know it.

Hi Nicole, I just wanted to say thank you so much for these lunchbox idea posts. The chicken ball recipe you posted earlier in your blog has revolutionised my children’s lunch boxes, and I even took some to work for myself the other day. Absolutely delicious! I freeze them, then just add them to the lunchboxes in the morning, along with a small container of tomato sauce. I struggle with new ideas for school lunches, so I really appreciate your innovative ideas!

3. jo says

I struggle coming up with ideas for the dreaded lunchbox so I love these posts – I have used so many of your ideas. I do have one question. I currently give my kids a homemade treat for afternoon tea at home. I’m thinking of moving it to the lunchbox but then am not sure what to give them for afternoon tea. What do your kids have when they get home from school?

Hi Jo,

Glad you have found the posts helpful. I do very simple afternoon teas, fruit and cracker type of things. I have had quite a few questions about afternoon teas actually so will have a post up in a couple of weeks with just some simple photos of what the kids have after school.

Nic

I was just popping in to look through your archive for lunch box ideas, and here’s a whole new set, thanks!
    Definiteyl going to make the ham and cheese scrolls. FYI these aren’t ideas for kids, theyr’e for me and hubby :)

5. Katy says

Thank you for more ideas Nicole! I for one really appreciate then, and give me some new ideas for what (and how much!) to pack the kids for school. I think you’ve had a great balance of foods and variety, and certainly 1000 times better than I’ve seen in lots of other lunchboxes!!!!

Great ideas Nic. Will have to hunt up some of those multigrain crackers and see if my girls will eat them :) Be handy to have a store in the pantry.

Thanks Marita – I also loved your photo on Instagram. I can so remember the excited of having left over party food in my lunch box as a kid. We had some in the kids lunch boxes after master 6’s birthday party on Friday.

There is something pretty special about party food left overs :) Although I will admit to now being heartily sick of honey joys.

7. Jess says

Thanks for this post. I love your ideas- and use all of them except the ham and cheese scrolls and carrot and beetroot fritters- and I will definitely be trying them- they look great!
    One other thing, how do I follow your blog? I can’t see a button.